Photographer's Note

The village of Holy Galeria Maria and the surrounding territory plunges their roots into the far and unsure history. The name "Celsano", whose origin is unknown, it is subject to several interpretations. A few hypotheses, want it to be in the name relation of an ancient owner terriera Etruscan, Celisa or Celusa; others make the denomination from the celusus adjective, or deli sanum which would like to show a particular healthiness of the place derive.

The current Galeria S.Maria denomination was given when the parish of the deserted Galeria town was moved in the S.Maria church in Celsano; in the ancient documents we find her also appointed as S.Maria in earths Galeriae or S.Maria in Burgo. The relative historical news to the chiesetta they are very little, no document attests us the year of his foundation.
The inscription first note which names "Celisano farmhouse" is dated 1053; in this year a papal bubble assigns the surrounding grounds to the S.Saba monastery.

In years 1074, 1158, 1186 other bubbles were issued to confirm the ecclesiastical property, to face each other the intent of the accounts of Galeria which were yearning to take possession of the grounds of the monks. With extinguishing it he of the Galeria heirs, their feud passes in the hands of the Orsini. Also the monastery, in 1276, grants the Orsini most of his property, reserving for sè a few grounds between which the S.Maria complex in Celsano. In 1433 the monks widen the enfiteusi contract with the Orsini also on the chiesetta.

The Orsini, in 1510, arrange for the restoration of the fatiscente ecclesiastical building and give it to the Hungarian friars of the monastery he S.Paolo hermit.

Under Gregorio XIII, the order of S.Paolo hermit suppressed up and the Ungarico College was founded, subsequently joined with that Germanic. So, in 1581, the S.Maria church in Celsano comes under the administration of the Germanico-Ungarico college. In 1816 he becomes seat of the parish. Subsequently, by a bubble of November 30th, 1860 the change in the name takes place in Galeria S.Maria and Jesus's Company engages the patronage of the parish for long time. At last S.Maria in Celsano passes to the Porto-S.Rufina diocese and since 1991 he has become a Rettoria Church.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2450
Points: 54
Additional Photos by Giorgio Clementi (Clementi) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3694 W: 437 N: 9370] (52514)
View More Pictures