Photographer's Note

Another picture of Dublin city centre :
O'Connell Bridge - Originally designed and built by James Gandon, O'Connell Bridge was built in 1794-98 and named aftyer the then Viceroy - Lord Carlisle. The original bridge had a hump and was much narrower and Gandon had designed obelisks and plinths for the four corners. In 1880 it was widened and the hump removed - it is now almost square - being as wide as it is long. In 1882 it was renamed after Daniel O'Connell when the statue in his honour was unveiled. Recently the lamps that graced the central island have been restored to their five lantern glory. (

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2569
Points: 6
  • None
Additional Photos by Sylvain Kerdreux (skerdreux) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 222 W: 8 N: 171] (3184)
View More Pictures