Photos

Photographer's Note

Fiskardo

Fiskardo (Greek, Modern: Φισκάρδο,lately, more commonly Fiscardo, is a village located about 54 km N of Argostoli in Erissos. It is the northernmost port of the Ionian island of Kefalonia, a short distance from Ithaca. The origin of the name is the corrupted form of Guiskardo (Γυϊσκάρδο) from Robert Guiscard, Duke of Apulia and Calabria and founder of the Kingdom of the Two Sicily's who died in the village in 1085, during the time of Frankish (Norman) dominion in Greece. The village was later called Piskardo (Πισκάρδο, then Fiskardo; since the late 1990s it is most commonly called Fiscardo. Fiskardo is also the two kilometers long bay in which the port is located. Fiskardo and the dense forest in the surrounding area have been declared areas of great natural beauty and are protected under Greek law. In recent years a small tourist industry has developed centred on luxury villas in the area around the village.

The 1953 Ionian earthquake did not ruin many buildings in Fiskardo, which kept its original architecture and remains the oldest on the island. Buildings are almost colorful in the center of Fiskardo. The core has several buildings and a port built for dozens of boats. The homes after the earthquake received electricity and the road became paved, connecting it to the rest of the island.

In 2004, chef Mamalakis, for his cooking show on Mega Channel, featured Fiskardo Melissani, along with other places, in search for cuisine on Kefalonia.

For more informations you can see here

Φισκάρδο

Το Φισκάρδο είναι χωριό στη βόρεια Κεφαλονιά, στο πλησιέστερο σημείο Κεφαλονιάς-Ιθάκης. Ανήκει στο Δήμο Ερίσου και κατά την απογραφή του 2001 είχε 205 κατοίκους. Μικρό παραδοσιακό ψαροχώρι -δείγμα της παλιάς Κεφαλονιάς- έχει έντονη τουριστική ζωή, γιατί εκεί αράζουν τα κότερα και μεγάλα σκάφη. Είναι χτισμένο μέσα σε όρμο -με 447 κατοίκους- και απέχει 49,5 χλμ ΒΑ από το Αργοστόλι. Το λιμάνι του Φισκάρδο είναι το μόνο ανέπαφο σημείο της Κεφαλονιάς μετά το σεισμό του 1953. Έχει χαρακτηριστεί διατηρητέο και ορισμένα από τα σπίτια αναστηλώθηκαν και χρησιμοποιούνται από τον ΕΟΤ σαν ξενώνες. Πήρε το όνομά του από τον Νορμανδό κατακτητή Ροβέρτο Γαϊσκάρδο, που το 1805 πολιόρκησε την περιοχή. Το Φισκάρδο είναι επίσης τόπος καταγωγής του ποιητή Νίκου Καββαδία.

Αξιοθέατα αποτελούν:

Το ίδιο το Φισκάρδο, ζωντανή μαρτυρία του Ιόνιου πολιτισμού, αφού είναι το μόνο χωριό που σώθηκε από τους σεισμούς του 1953.

Τα ερείπια παλαιοχριστιανικής εκκλησίας στην τοποθεσία Χτούρια.

Το μοναστήρι της Παναγίας της Πλατυτέρας.

Η πέτρινη σαρκοφάγος, ανάγλυφο των Διοσκούρων και ο ονομαζόμενος θρόνος της βασίλισσας Φισκάρδας, κοιλότητα λαξεμένη σε βράχο, πλάτους 2,3 μ. και βάθους 2,4 μ.

Στο ύψωμα Σπηλιόβουνο, πολλές σπηλιές.

Photo Information
Viewed: 4002
Points: 140
Discussions
Additional Photos by Danos kounenis (danos) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13701 W: 295 N: 27478] (110395)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH