Photographer's Note

The small fortress was constructed where there had been an Ottoman monastery (teke), already known from the 17th century. It is one of the fortifications which were built by the pasha of Ioannina to control the coasts of Akarnania, mainly during the Russian -Turkish war after 1806. An inscription on the wall states that it was completed in 1807. According to written sources, the plan of the fortress was drawn up by French engineers, and it was used for systematic attacks against the garrison of Lefkada. Today it is in private ownership.
The small fortress follows the standard quadrilateral layout with corner ramparts. The perimeter wall reaches a height of 10 metres and surrounds a small inner yard where the gunpowder store for the complex was situated. An ascending path leads to the en- trance to the castle on the eastern side. Inside the perimeter walls there were a great number of covered areas which met the needs of the garrison.

ikeharel, Romano46, No_One, timecapturer, Zucca, holmertz has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Kamila Zadora (Kamilutka) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 571 W: 0 N: 1692] (8107)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-03-04
  • Categories: Architecture, Ruins
  • Exposure: f/7.1, 1/800 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2013-03-04 7:50
Viewed: 1569
Points: 32
  • None
Additional Photos by Kamila Zadora (Kamilutka) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 571 W: 0 N: 1692] (8107)
View More Pictures