Photographer's Note

The Monastery of Pantokratoros is located on the eastern side of the peninsula and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Our Lord. It was founded by Alexios the Stratopedarch and John the Primikerios. Its operation most likely started in 1363. After the fall of Byzantine empire, the monastery was financially supported by rulers of eastern Europe. Two destructive fires took place in 1773 and in 1948.

It occupies the seventh rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is inhabited by 66 monks (1990) and is coenobitic (communal). The coenobitic skete of Prophet Elijah belongs to the monastery of Pantokrator. Among the Kellia of the monastery, the most important are of the Ravdouchou, possibly of the 10th c. and the Dormition of the Virgin, named Axion Esti after the namesake icon.

The monastery’s katholikon is small, due to a lack of space. It is built in the style of the Athonite churches with one slight irregularity, that is, the distance between the choirs of the cantors and the sanctuary is unusually great. The church features wall-paintings from artists of the Macedonian School and certain parts were restored in 1854.

Besides the katholikon the monastery features eight chapels. The most impressive, dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin, lies in the katholikon, to the left of the eso-narthex.
Photo processed in Photoshop.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2314
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by Theologos Tats (thiv56) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 148 W: 50 N: 261] (1628)
View More Pictures