Photos

Photographer's Note

This is my 700th photo on TE, dedicated to all TE members with greetings from Greece.

The temple of Afaia in Aigina is one of the most impressive buildings of the post-archaic era. The temple is dominant in the holy area of Afaia, which was founded by Aiginites as a tribute to the Minoan deity Afaia, daughter of Zeus and Karmi. Afaia has been identified by numerous researchers as Britomarti, but also as Diktynna Artemis. The legend has it that Afaia resorted to Aigina and hided in a forest, in order to avoid the furious love of King Minoan of Crete. In this very forest, the Aiginites founded a sacred place to honour her. The temple was built for the first time around 570-560 B.C, but it was devastated by a fire. Around 500-490 B.C the temple took the form that we see today. Unfortunately, the holy place at the interior was not maintained for long time, since the decline of the island around the middle of 5th century. By 2nd century B.C the entire place wasabandoned.
The temple of Afaia retains a Dorian type of architecture and it is considered by many as the prototype designed by the architects of Parthenon. The temple has 12 columns across its length and 6 columns across its width. These columns are monoliths with 20 striations each, apart from 3 that are conjoined parts. Entering the temple was only possible through an inclining level at the eastern side of the temple. The sculptures on the frieze were made out of marble from the island of Paros. The theme of the two friezes of the temple of Afaia was the battles in Troy where Aiakides, Telamonas, Aiantas and Achilleas had many distinctions. Goddess Athena is present in every representation, justifying partly why many times the temple is named Afaia Athena.
The temple was left deserted for centuries, dominant in the landscape of the region, until two seemingly ‘Philhellenic’ Europeans initiated the first excavations in 1811; an English architect and a German baron, obviously after bribing some local authority, took off the sculptures on the friezes and transported them to Italy. From there they were sold to the German king Ludwig. Today these sculptures are showcased in Munich’s Sculpture Gallery and admired by many visitors of the city. Apparently, the Greek government in order to honour the Germans assigned the first scientific excavation in 1901, to the German Archaeological Institute. Fortunately, the last restoration work that took place between 1956 and 1975 was conducted by A. Orlandos and E. Stikas.

O ναός της Αφαίας στην Αίγινα είναι από τα πιο εντυπωσιακά κτίσματα της υστεροαρχαικής εποχής. Ο ναός δεσπόζει στην περιοχή του ιερού της Αφαίας που ίδρυσαν οι Αιγινίτες για να τιμήσουν την Μινωίτικη θεότητα Αφαία, κόρη του Δία και της Κάρμης. Η Αφαία έχει ταυτιστεί από πολλούς ερευνητές με την Βριτόμαρτι αλλά και την Δίκτυννα Άρτεμι. Ο Μύθος αναφέρει ότι η Αφαία κατέφυγε στην Αίγινα και κρύφτηκε σε ένα δάσος, για να γλύτώσει από την ερωτική μανία του Βασιλιά της Κρήτης Μίνωα. Σε αυτό το δάσος ίδρυσαν οι Αιγινίτες ιερό όπου την τιμούσαν. Ο ναός πρωτοοικοδομήθηκε το 570-560 π.χ αλλά καταστράφηκε από πυρκαγιά. Το 500-490 π.χ κτίσθηκε ο ναός που βλέπουμε σήμερα και διαμορφώθηκε όλος ο χώρος του ιερού. Δυστυχώς το ιερό δεν διατηρήθηκε για μεγάλο διάστημα καθώς άρχισε η παρακμή της Αίγινας ήδη από τα μέσα του 5ου αιώνα. Τον 2ο αιώνα π.χ όλος ο χώρος είχε εγκαταληφθεί.

Ο ναός της Αφαίας είναι δωρικού ρυθμού και από πολλούς θεωρείται το πρότυπο που είχαν στο μυαλό τους οι αρχιτέκτονες του Παρθενώνα. Ο ναός έχει 12 κίονες στις μακριές πλευρές και 6 στις στενές και όλοι είναι μονόλιθοι με 20 ραβδώσεις εκτός από 3 που αποτελούνται από σπονδύλους. Η είσοδος στον ναό γινόταν από ένα επικλινές επίπεδο στην ανατολική πλευρά. Τα γλυπτά των αετωμάτων ήταν από παριανό μάρμαρο. Το θέμα και των δύο αετωμάτων του ναού της Αφαίας είναι οι μυθικές εκστρατείες στην Τροία, καθώς σε αυτές είχαν διακριθεί οι Αιακίδες, Τελαμώνας, Αίαντας και Αχιλλέας. Η θεά Αθηνά είναι παρούσα σε όλες τις παραστάσεις, έτσι δεν είναι τυχαίο που πολλές φορές ο ναός ανομάζεται της Αφαίας Αθηνάς. Αλλώστε για μεγάλο διάστημα πίστευαν ότι στην Αθηνά ήταν αφιερωμένος.

Ο ναός διέσχισε τους αιώνες μέσα στην εγκατάληψη, δεσπόζοντας στην περιοχή μέχρι που δύο "φιλέλληνες" το 1811, ένας Άγγλος αρχιτέκτονας και ένας Γερμανός βαρώνος, έκαναν τις πρώτες "ανασκαφές", προφανώς λαδώνοντας κάποιον τοπικό πασά. Έτσι κατάκλεψαν τα γλυπτά των αετωμάτων, τα οποία μετέφεραν στην Ιταλία και από εκεί τα πούλησαν σε δημοπρασία στον γερμανό βασιλιά Λουδοβίκο. Σήμερα βρίσκονται στη γλυπτοθήκη του Μονάχου για να τα καμαρώνουν οι επισκέπτες της αξιόλογης αυτής γερμανικής πόλης. Το ελληνικό κράτος για να τιμήσει προφανώς τους γερμανούς, ανέθεσε τις πρώτες επιστημονικές ανασκαφές στο χώρο το 1901, στο Γερμανικό Αρχαιολογικό Ινστιτούτο. Ευτυχώς οι τελευταίες αναστηλωτικές εργασίες το 1956-1975 έγιναν από τους Α. Ορλάνδο και Ε. Στίκα.

(http://www.aiginainfo.gr/aeginaisland/aiginaisland/aiginasightseeing/afeastemple/index.html)

Photo Information
Viewed: 3516
Points: 98
Discussions
Additional Photos by Vasilis Protopapas (vasilpro) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2755 W: 87 N: 5133] (41761)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH