Photographer's Note

The Tower of Prosforiou of Ouranoupoli is located on the south-east edge of the village). It is believed that already existed in 1344, but rather is older and probably was built in the place of an older facility.
Here was hosted, in May 1379, the "Bishop" (King) of Thessaloniki, Ioannis Paleologos, and during his stay here, he had absolved the tower of the tax obligations.
At the earthquake of 1585 it suffered serious damages so there were extensive repairing works. Afterwards, and in August 1858, it began again some extensive repairing work, giving its final form that we see up today.
To Byzantine tower belongs the whole lower part of the stone building, except the two last floors. The two last floors, as well as one more that was ruined, are dated back to the Ottoman domination, probably afterwards the earthquake of 1585.
The wooden interior of the tower, along with the current roof, are part of the reconstruction of the 19th century, which seems that completed in 1862. It is followed by construction of the outer "Skarpas", that is, the slanting walls. Today, after the recent restoration work, the inside of the tower is maintained in the original construction of the 19th century. .

To the exterior of the east side of the tower is attached the "Barbakas" (fortified enclosure), which is probably an annexe of the early Ottoman domination with later repairs. Today's depots and places of residence within the "Barbakas" must be made in the mid 19th century.
In the northwest part of the tower is the building "Arsanas", built in 1865, with the dock which is not saved. It consists of the semi-basement of the boat storage, the warehouses in the semi-upper-part and the upstairs part of housing.
To the entire building complex are adapted and many other buildings such as warehouses, barns, oil mill, "kolligospita", wells, etc.), of which only two have survived, in a distance of 50 m from the tower. The facilities of Prosforiou were used for many years as a shelter for refugees, who founded the town of Ouranoupoli in 1923.


Photo Information
Viewed: 2554
Points: 46
  • None
Additional Photos by Vasilis Protopapas (vasilpro) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2742 W: 87 N: 5139] (41801)
View More Pictures