Photographer's Note

Pirg (fort) Hrusija, in the reign of King Milutin, was the best and safest port on the Mount Atos, thanks to the high tower, strong walls and fortifications protected the entrance to the monastery harbour. It is assumed that the fort was built on the walls of an old Greek monastery.
Next to the church dedicated to St. Saviour, within Hrusija, Milutin's son Stefan of Decani built a temple dedicated to St. Basil the Great, and the pirg began to be called St. Basil on the sea (Sveti Vasilije na moru), and often old monastery. Frequent attacks of bandits, outlaws and pirates, massive destruction, demolition and burning, have made pirg slowly after Stephen's death began to quenched. Of the original frescoes have been preserved only those depicting Christ and the Virgin Mary, and the rest were painted in the early 19th century.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1091
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 309 W: 126 N: 906] (6393)
View More Pictures