Photographer's Note

There is another red church in Corfu town.

The church of Saint Spiliotissa is situated in front of the old port and it is named also Mitropolis after the public square in which it is. Spiliotissa Church
Rising over the square with its flight of steps, the church stands out for its bright color and the decoration that looks like a sun surrounding the rose window.
The Spiliotissa name derives from "spilià" that means cave and it is the name of this area so called for the presence of a cave at the feet of the New Fortress.
This orthodox basilica dates back to 1577 and houses the mortal remains of Saint Teodora of Augusta. She was a Byzantine empress canonized in the 9th Century and her relics arrived to Corfu from Costantinopoli together with the patron Saint Spiridonas ones.
Inside the church there are Byzantine icons like the Madonna Dimosiana, painted on both sides, and others of the Ionic School made by Damaskino, Tzane and Paramithioti. (

Bigger beta picture

Photo Information
Viewed: 477
Points: 40
  • None
Additional Photos by Malgorzata Kopczynska (emka) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9673 W: 146 N: 24297] (119566)
View More Pictures