Photos

Photographer's Note

You can see the Cathedral of Berlin (Dom), the TV tower and the city hall (Rotes Rathaus).

The Rotes Rathaus (German: Red Town Hall) is the town hall of Berlin, located on Rathausstraße in the borough of Berlin-Mitte. It is the home to the governing mayor and the government of the Federal state of Berlin. The name of the landmark building dates from the facade design with red clinker bricks.

The town hall was built between 1861 and 1869 in the style of the north Italian High Renaissance by Hermann Friedrich Waesemann. The architecture of the tower is reminiscent of the cathedral's tower of Laon in France. It replaced more, partial buildings dating from the Middle Ages by a whole street block.

The building was heavily damaged by Allied bombing in World War II. Located in the Soviet sector, it served as the town hall of East Berlin after its reconstruction during the 1950s to the original plans, while the Rathaus Schöneberg was domicile of the West Berlin Senate. After German reunification the administration of unified Berlin officially moved in 1991.

Berlin Cathedral (German: Berliner Dom) is a Lutheran cathedral in Berlin, Germany. It is located on Museum Island in the Mitte district, and was built between 1895 and 1905. Dedicated on February 27, 1905, it faces the Lustgarten (a city park) and the former site of the imperial palace, the Stadtschloss.

Later the church of the Dominican Order (Schwarze Brüder), located at the south side of the castle, was used as the first cathedral. The first church at this site was a baroque cathedral by Johann Boumann, which was completed in 1747 and, in 1822, remodelled in the neoclassicist style by the Berlin architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel.

In 1894, on German Emperor Wilhelm II's order, this domed building was demolished and replaced by the current cathedral designed by Julius Raschdorff. At 114 metres (374 ft) long, 73 metres (240 ft) wide and 116 metres (381 ft) tall, it was much larger than any of the previous buildings and was considered a Protestant counterweight to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. The pipe organ, built by Wilhelm Sauer, had 113 stops, including three ranks of 32' pipes on the pedal division, played by a 4-manual console.

During World War II, the building was bombed by the Allies and severely damaged on May 24, 1944. A temporary roof was installed to protect what remained of the interior and in 1975 reconstruction started. The restoration of the interior was begun in 1984 and in 1993 the church reopened in an event attended by Chancellor of Germany Helmut Kohl and televised nationwide in Germany. During reconstruction, the organ was fully restored, although the building's original design was modified into a simpler, shorter form.

The Fernsehturm (German for "television tower") is a television tower in the city centre of Berlin, Germany. It is a well-known landmark, close to Alexanderplatz. The tower was built between 1965 and 1969 by the former German Democratic Republic (GDR) and its image was used as a symbol of Berlin by the GDR administration. The tower is easily visible throughout central and some suburban districts of Berlin and remains a symbol of the city.

The original total height of the tower was 365 metres, but after the installation of a new antenna in the 1990s, the height is now 368 m. The Fernsehturm is the fourth tallest freestanding structure in Europe, after Moscow's Ostankino Tower, the Kiev TV Tower and the Riga Radio and TV Tower. There is a visitor platform and a rotating restaurant in the middle of the sphere. The visitor platform is at a height of about 204 m above the ground and visibility can reach 42 km (25 miles) on a clear day. The restaurant, which rotates once every twenty minutes, is a few metres above the visitors platform (originally it turned once per hour; the speed was later doubled, and tripled following the tower's late 1990s renovation).

Inside the shaft are two lifts for bringing visitors into the sphere section of the tower within 40 seconds. It is not accessible by wheelchair. Due to their small size, there are long waits at the base of the tower.

To mark the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, and the final match in Berlin Olympic Stadium, the sphere was decorated as a football with magenta-coloured pentagons, which was the corporate colour of World Cup sponsor Deutsche Telekom, the owner of the tower.


(Wikipedia)

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1261
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Marque Berger (rio_de_janeiro) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 78 W: 82 N: 410] (2091)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH