Photos

Photographer's Note

The Basilique Saint-Urbain de Troyes from Place de la Libération in Troyes.

''The Basilica of Saint Urbain of Troyes is a large Gothic church located in Troyes, capital of the department of Aube. Because many financial difficulties, its construction extended over several centuries, from the thirteenth century until the twentieth century.
The construction of the building was launched by Jacques Pantaleon. The son of a cobbler of Troyes (about 1185-1264), Jacques Pantaleon had a remarkable ecclesiastical career, occupying charges archdeacon of Laon, ambassador of the Holy See, the Bishop of Verdun then Patriarch Jerusalem. In 1261, he was elected pope under the name of Urban IV. He then tried to build on the site of his family's shop, where he had, according to tradition, born, a basilica dedicated to St. Urban, the patron saint. Significant financial resources made it possible to rapidly raise the basilica. Most of it is built in less than thirty years, from 1262 to 1286. On the death of Urban IV in 1264, his nephew, cardinal, on continuing construction.
The church is one of the major witnesses of the radiating Gothic, which develops in Paris and northern France from the middle of the thirteenth century. Like the other big beaming building north of France, Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, Saint-Urbain Troyes Church magnifies the architectural structure. All structural elements are emphasized forcefully to enhance the skeleton of the building. Thus, the columns amount fibrous background without interruption directly earn the vaults and affirm the verticality of the building. Similarly, there is a simplification of elevation. The Church of St. Urbain de Troyes does not have the three levels, which were then standard in the so-called classical Gothic architecture, that is to say large arcades, triforium and high windows. Here, there are only two levels, large arches and tall windows. This provision strengthens the position of windows, which in Saint-Urbain de Troyes, occupy all locations that are not dedicated to the support structure. The forces are rejected outside and retained by buttress arches. It is therefore a church consisting only of bearing elements and glass. Abundant windows cycle develops in the whole building

ikeharel, pajaran, papagolf21, jhm, PiotrF, PaulVDV has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1174
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by ALESSANDRO MACCHI (SWEETFREEDOM) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1587 W: 0 N: 3172] (24623)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH