Photographer's Note

Here is the door Craffe or Sacred Gate , landmark of the old town of Nancy , under a beautiful blue sky. Tthe sun will not always go unfortunately ...

" One vestige of the medieval fortifications of Nancy , this gate was built in the second half of the fourteenth century , during the reign of Duke John 1 of Lorraine ( 1346-1390 ) . It complemented the defensive system of the small city Nancy encompassing large and small bourgets .

Originally called Charkant Door , Door Paky , Sacred Gate and Gate Bordes (in relation to the plague who lived in huts nearby ) , the Gate of Craffe already known and in 1374 , took its present name in 1388 . According to Michel Parisse , a prominent medievalist Lorraine, the word " Craffe " seem to come from the old French " escraiffe " designating a dump on the outskirts of the city.

From the reign of John II (1452-1470) , the Gate of Craffe so simple square turn, dota, in 1463 , both high and massive towers and flanking the central part. It also became a prison until the nineteenth century .

Under the reign of René II (1473-1508) , despite repeated Burgundian troops in 1475 and 1476 attacks , the Gate of Craffe resisted . From 1498 to 1505 , the back of the door Craffe received a grand boulevard intended to strengthen against the gunfire ( bombardes. ..) .

1611 , Duke Henry II ( 1608-1624 ) integration Gate Craffe new bastioned walls which then cinched the old town ; Map of Nancy , directed by Claude de la Ruelle , perfectly shows with ditches fed by the stream Bouzonville .

In 1615 , the Governor Nancy Elisé Haraucourt , did restore the Gate of Craffe giving it the appearance it has today . Indeed, at that time, the exterior ( then called door of Notre -Dame , in reference to the scene of the Annunciation decorated ) was moved forcing the governor to connect the two parts of the split door , a long arch built in baffle ( to slow the progression of potential enemies who've crossed the first line of defense ) The central lantern , which contained a church steeple St. Epvre was added at this time .

In the 1630s , a neo-classical portal took place on the inner facade and part of the moat was filled .

In 1661, with the Treaty of Vincennes that made Nancy the Duke Charles III , the door Craffe no longer became a single city gate and lost , in fact, his defensive side!

In 1861 , the gate was restored Great side street, the engineer commander Trancart in the Gothic Revival style . The clock , which then existed , was removed. Copies profiles Dukes of Lorraine ( Raoul de Lorraine ( 1328-1346 ), Jean 1 of Lorraine ( 1346-1390 ), Charles II of Lorraine ( 1390-1431 ) and René II ( 1473-1508 ) ) were inserted into the masonry in addition to a cross of Lorraine perforated and a niche containing a Madonna and Child from the fourteenth century.

In 1870, the municipal architect Prosper Morey did drill two pedestrian gates on either side of the central part .

After 10 months of work, the Gate of Craffe just promote strengthening the vault, by building a plaza at the rear and placing fixtures. "

By :

snunney, Romano46, PiotrF, timecapturer has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2155
Points: 38
  • None
Additional Photos by Magaly PAGANO (Giustiniani) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 201 W: 9 N: 432] (3632)
View More Pictures