Photographer's Note

Set up on a pilot hillock, the city of Laon is inhabited since the Gallic time. With the origin, the city is known under the only name of Lugdunum. Capital of the kingdom at the time Carolingian, it shelters the residences of Kings de France between VIIIème and Xe century. The city becomes at the Average Age a religious and intellectual center famous; in XIe century, the School of Laon flowers under the auspices of powerful bishops. In XIIe century, the bishop Gauthier de Mortagne makes build the cathedral Our-injury, one of the first Gothic cathedrals in France. In XVIe century, Laon becomes a military fortified town which undergoes several seats. Laon kept many traces of its flourishing past (old residences...). It is today a high tourist place with the crossing of Ile-de-France, Champagne and Picardy. It offers an exceptional architectural heritage (cathedrals, old abbeys, Hôtel-Dieu, 8 kilometers of bored medieval ramparts of monumental doors...). Within the safeguarded sector widest of the hexagon, the city counts thus more than 80 historic buildings registered voters or classified. Source:

This is a sight partial of the ramparts in south-east of the old city

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2503
Points: 4
Additional Photos by claude bb (saintclaude) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 221 W: 16 N: 227] (1398)
View More Pictures