Photos

Photographer's Note

LIORZH AR MOGERIOU, GWENED, BRO WENED

THE BATTLEMENTS GARDEN, VANNES, BRITTANY

Large post

(for english text, see lower)

Goude un neubeut skeudennoù eus Bro Leon dindan ar galv, setu gwened dindan heol ar mintin e miz mae.

Ramparzhioù Gwened zo unan ag an elfennoù a bouez a weler e kêr hag un testeni a 1 500 blez a istor vilourel.
E penn diwezhañ an IIIe kantved, ha pa oa an impalaeriezh roman àr an diskar, Gwened, anvet Darioritum en amzer-se, zo aotreet da sevel magoerioù difenn. Un castrum (lec’h magoeriet) zo savet er c’hornôg d’ar gêr galian-ha-roman, àr ar Menez tost. Un tric’horn a ra ar vagoer-difenn zo en he diabarzh ur gorread 5 hektar pe àr-dro.
Er Grennamzer Uhelañ e ta ar castrum da vout kalonenn kêr. Kempennet eo ar vagoer en XIIIvet kantved, ha kresket etre 1370 ha 1390 gant dug Breizh, Yann IV ; kreskiñ a ra gorread ar gêr gloz ag an hanter. Àr tu mervent ar vagoer nevez emañ harpet kastell an Erminig (aet da get), tost da zor Calmont.
Balegoù, tarzhelloù, tourioù a za da greñvaat ar reizhiad difenn er XVvet kantved.
E penn diwezhañ ar XVIvet kantved eo kreñvaet magoer ar Grennamzer gant begoù, evit bastañ da ezhommoù ar c’hanolierezh modern. Kentrell ar Waremm, savet etre 1626 ha 1628 gant an tisavour Augereau, eo an difenn diwezhañ savet e Gwened.


After a few pictures about bad weather in the northern Brittany, a sunny picture from vannes in southern Brittany. Early in the morning in May 2007.

Vannes' battlements, witness to 1,500 years of history, are a major feature in the townscape.
At the end of the 3rd century, when the Roman Empire was crumbling, Vannes, which was then called Darioritum, was permitted to reinforce its defences. A castrum (fortified site) was build to the west of the Gallo-Roman town on the nearby Mené hill. The triangular plan of the defence walls protected an area of about 5 hectares.
During the Early Middle Ages the castrum became the heart of the medieval town. Restored during the 13th century, Jean IV, Duke of Brittany extended the walls between 1370 and 1390, doubling the area of the walled town. The Hermine castle (now gone) was built on the south-west side of the new battlements, near the site of the Calmont gate.
Machicoulis, gun loops and towers were added to the defence system during the 15th century.
At the end of the 16th century the medieval battlements were reinforced with bastions to meet the requirements of modern artillery. The last defence structure to be built in Vannes was the Garenne fortification, erected between 1626 and 1628 by the architect Augereau.

(source: vannes official website)

asajernigan, josevescovi has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2698
Points: 20
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by JM Tanguy (Edern) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 44 W: 18 N: 177] (594)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH