Photographer's Note

Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix (Our Lady of Peace) chapel in Le Pouldu seaside resort in Clohars-Carnoët in south Finistère. This chapel is filed as historical monument since 1962 because of a surprising characteristic : it was moved from a village called Saint-Maudez in Nizon, (today in Pont-Aven) ! It was dismantled then rebuilt in 1957 by an architect from Quimperlé, Pierre Brunerie, at the instance of canon Cotten, rector of Clohars-Carnoët parish, with support of Le Nestour family. The aim of canon Cotten was to give a chapel to Le Pouldu seaside resort which had not any. The original chapel was built in 15th and 16th centuries and was dedicated to Saint-Maudez. But it couldn't keep its name because a Saint-Maudez chapel already existed in Clohars-Carnoët. Close to the chapel there is a calvary built in 1959 by a local sculptor, Boureau, and a memorial monument dedicated to painters that stayed in Le Pouldu.

gildasjan, paura has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2082
Points: 30
  • None
Additional Photos by Olivier THIERRY (chawax) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1355 W: 21 N: 3242] (20764)
View More Pictures