Photos

Photographer's Note

Bonnieux is one of the most beautiful villages perched north side of the Luberon. The municipality extends ridges of the Luberon Claparèdes plateau and the shores of Calavon.
From the current site, you can enjoy a wonderful panorama, on the agricultural plain of the valley Calavon, Monts de Vaucluse and the Ventoux. Dominated by his High Church, half-Roman, half-Gothic, 425 m above sea level, this pretty village commands the combe Lourmarin, only path through the Luberon. Bonnieux was a oppidum or fortified village inhabited from the Neolithic and Bronze Age, as evidenced by many stations such as St-Gervais or Fabrys.

In the first century, the vast territory of Bonnieux was crossed by the Roman road from Cadiz in Milan, with relay in the Enlightenment: it was one of the largest tract of the Western Europe and the traffic was very dense.
Bonnieux and its magic

Until 1312, Bonnieux would have been a Commanderie des Templiers. To this date, the land becomes common papal and church will remain until 1791.
This area belongs to the Pontifical actually an enclave in the land of the Count of Provence, and he thereby gave a special place in the history of the region.

Residence sometimes forced church dignitaries, Bonnieux then 3500 people and had always important privileges granted to him in 1247 the Count of Toulouse Raimond. The crest of the town is a reflection of this prosperous period.

Bonnieux became french by the annexation of a Comtat Venaissin the Convention in 1793.
Bonnieux and its wonders

At the height of Pont Julien (second century BC. JC), located on the territory of Bonnieux Bitrona then called, was the junction with the bypass north-south by the combe Lourmarin. In the Middle Ages, for security reasons, the town of Bonnieux built around the area which had been elevated the oppidum ceIto-Ligurian.

In 972, Bonnieux already had a fortress and walls. In the twelfth century, "Templar" built the chapel of Saint Saviour, which form part I Romanesque Church Haute. In Xllème and XIV, to the danger of armed gangs who come from the plain, the inhabitants of Bonnieux took refuge in the shelter of the castle and church, the place called "Castellas", which belongs to the powerful family 'Agoult. The village of the time is surrounded by ramparts including 4 doors and towers, which remain substantial remains.

nikosrio has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2014
Points: 11
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Laurent Ch Delsanne (LEA) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 574 W: 6 N: 351] (5006)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH