Photographer's Note

A view of the Square Tower, part of the ramparts surrounding the ancient French village of Camon.

Camon is a French commune, located in the department of Ariège in the newly constituted region of Occitanie. The town is a member of the association 'The Most Beautiful Villages of France'.

The village is built in the meander of the Hers-Vif. Tradition has it that it was Charlemagne who, in 778, founded a monastery on this small rocky eminence situated in a curve of the Hers. A fortified abbey was built later, given in 943 to the abbey of Lagrasse . In the twelfth century it became a simple priory.

The first walled enclosure was built at the same time, as well as the castle of Montaragou. On June 18, 1279 , the abbey with its fortifications was destroyed by the rupture of the Puivert dam, which also carried away Mirepoix and the other villages of the valley. In 1494, the village and its abbey are again ransacked, this time by a gang of looters.

It is Philippe de Lévis-Mirepoix, bishop of Mirepoix and prior of Camon, who will rebuild at the beginning of the 16th century all the buildings that we see today, including the village ramparts. Between 1560 and 1570, Cardinal Georges d'Armagnac, then prior of Camon, completes the enclosure by attaching a round tower.

The above was extracted and roughly translated from an article in French Wikipedia.

pajaran, ChrisJ, Fis2, papagolf21, alvaraalto, pierrefonds, rychem, mcmtanyel has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 605
Points: 26
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29874] (130967)
View More Pictures