Photographer's Note

The town of the Painters
Overhanging the Seine, nested near the Bridge of Chatou, the discreet Church Our Lady is a building loaded with history.
Between the construction of the bell tower and the creation of the stained glasses of the south facade, more than eight centuries passed by.
Here is in some lines the footnotes of history of a building almost millennium:
The bell tower
It was built in XII ° century in a pure Romanic style. The arrow which surmounts it today was added by the architect Paul Abadie during the repairs of the Church after the War of 1870-1871. It was registered on the inventory of Ancient memorials in 1925.
The facade:
Dilapidated, it was thus shot down in 1861. It was reconstructed in a neoGothic style. Its conception calls back(reminds) that of the facade Holy Germain l' Auxerrois in Paris.
At the end of 19th century, Chatou was an important literary and artistic centre. Impressionistic painters (Renoir, Monet, Pissarro, Sisley) and writers (Guy de Maupassant, François Coppée) lived there, frequenting the Oven restaurant. At the 20th beginning, Derain, native of Chatou, and Vlaminck, created the movement fauviste, sometimes indicated(appointed) under the name of School of Chatou. Apollinaire and Catulle Mendès lived there in this time.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1950
Points: 46
Additional Photos by Philippe guillard (papagolf21) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18586 W: 883 N: 35109] (152605)
View More Pictures