Photos

Photographer's Note

The city of Slavonski Brod, Croatia, which was an important strategic and traffic center controlling the border crossing towards Turkey and connecting main commercial trails at the time, in the period between 1715-1780 Austria built the large imperial and royal border Fortress of Brod on the Sava River, which along with the fortified baroque towns of Slavonia, namely Osijek and Stara Gradiška, belongs to the great defense system on the border towards the Turkish Empire, designed by Prince Eugene of Savoy in the first half of the 18th century. It was constructed by peasants of the Military Border under forced labor more specifically 634 a day, who also gave 53 horse-drawn carts daily for the transport of material. The regular star-like form of the fortress was determined by the flat-country. It was built of rammed earth, bricks, wood and partially stone, and designed for the accommodation of 4.000 soldiers, mostly infantry and 150 cannons.
According to an evaluation of the Brod Fortress resistance, during the classical siege with full capacity channels, it would have taken ten days of preparation for the attacks and 46 days for the enemy to take over the entire Fortress. The Fortress of Brod occupied about 33 ha. The military government did not allow for the construction of solid material houses, because the entire town was within the range of the fortress cannons, and consequently, throughout the entire 18th and most of the 19th century, Brod was the town of small wooden houses, roofed by shingle or board. In case of the potential Turkish attack, the town was to be leveled down, in order to provide the artillery with the open space around the fortress. Although being a military border stronghold, the Fortress almost never had the opportunity to prove and demonstrate its combative power. However, there are many preserved fortifications reminiscent of the bygone times and the everyday military life that took place within. The Fortress of Brod was constructed according the Vauban system. It is basically of a rectangular form, while the system of defense channels provides its star-like layout. It consisted of three defense zones: internal, external and southern, and it was protected by two moat areas, water-fed from the nearby stream.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Nikola Nadas (NickVu) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 11 W: 0 N: 180] (187)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-07-30
  • Categories: Castles
  • Exposure: f/2.6, 1/333 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2013-07-31 11:31
Viewed: 1048
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Nikola Nadas (NickVu) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 11 W: 0 N: 180] (187)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH