Photographer's Note

The City Hall (the Rector's Palace) was the expression of the political and economic strength of the city in the first half of the 15th century. Its present appearance comes from the end of the last century, when it was partly restored. The large courtyard with monumental Gothic staircase and a decorated well-head is entered through a small entrance porch. On the console where the arches meet is a head that is considered to be a self-portrait of the builder of the Campanile, Matej Gojkovic. Various fragments and coats of arms of families from Trogir and other cities are built into the walls. Especially outstanding is the city coat of arms. The only preserved winged lion of St. Mark (the coat of arms of the Venetian Republic) is on the well. The Rector lived in the Palace, and the Small and Great Councils were convened there. In the 17th century it was transformed into a theater with stalls. The theater was destroyed in the 19th century. In 1890, the City Hall was reconstructed and its fronts restored in Renaissance style.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1163
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 321 W: 129 N: 1583] (9463)
View More Pictures