Photos

Photographer's Note

Da Wikipedia l' enciclopedia libera


Rovigno (in croato Rovinj, in istrioto Ruvèigno o Ruveîgno) è una città di 14.367 abitanti dell'Istria sud-occidentale, in Croazia. Sorge su una costa frastagliata e fronteggiata da scogli ed isolotti a sud del Canale di Leme, tra Parenzo e Pola.

Dista in linea d'aria circa 105 km da Venezia, 65 km da Trieste, 125 da Marina di Ravenna e 155 dal Porto di Ancona.

Il centro ha origini pre-romane. Assunse importanza sotto il dominio romano solo nei primi secoli dell'Era volgare quando il suo nome era Arupinum o Mons Rubineus e successivamente anche Ruginium e Ruvinium, da cui poi si è giunti al nome attuale. Fu per secoli città, fra le più importanti d'Istria, appartenente alla Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia. Dopo la caduta di quest'ultima e la parentesi napoleonica, passò nelle mani dell'Impero Austro-Ungarico, a cui rimase sino la fine della Prima guerra mondiale.[1]

Appartenne all'Italia fino al Trattato di Parigi del 1947, data in cui fu ceduta alla Repubblica Socialista Federale di Jugoslavia. Tale fatto, come nel resto dell'Istria, causò l'esodo della maggioranza della cittadinanza Italiana.

ENGLISH

From Wikipedia 's free encyclopedia


Rovinj (Rovinj in Croatian, in Istriot Ruvèigno or Ruveîgno) is a city of 14,367 inhabitants south-west of Istria, in Croatia. It rises on a coast indented and fronted by rocks and small islands south of the Lim Channel, between Poreč and Pula.

As the crow flies is 105 km from Venice, 65 km from Trieste, 125 from Marina di Ravenna and 155 from the port of Ancona.

The center has pre-Roman origins. Assumed importance under Roman rule until the early centuries BCE when his name was Arupinum or Mons Rubineus Ruginium and Ruvinium and later, from which he has arrived at its present name. It was for centuries the city, the most important of Istria, belonging to the Most Serene Republic of Venice. After the fall of the latter and the Napoleonic period, passed into the hands of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, where he remained until the end of the First World War. [1]

It belonged to Italy until the Treaty of Paris of 1947, when it was ceded to the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. This fact, as in the rest of Istria, caused the exodus of the majority of Italian citizenship.

fds, bayno, mirosu, No_One has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1701
Points: 12
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Zeljka Jandrlic Rubinic (desy65) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 20 W: 0 N: 126] (576)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH