Photographer's Note

Dobrun monastery
A monk and a support worker preparing frames for extraction of honey.

Dobrun monastery, also known under the name Kruševo, is located in the vivid mountainous area on the road from Belgrade to Užice, 12 km away from Višegrad in the valley of Rzav river. It is dedicated to the Holly Mary and was erected by župan Pribil and his sons Stefan and Petar in 1343. In 1383. as a monk Jovan builds a very rich annex painted with marvelous frescoes. Already in 1393 when Turks got through in Bosnia for the first time, the monastery was ruined. It was reconstructed by despot Stefan Lazarević and princess Milica. On the crossing of the 18 and 19 century the monastery got abandoned.
There are no reliable data regarding the establishment and the history of the monastery. It is known that it was the center of Metropolitan for a while. In its history the monastery was destroyed and reconstructed many times. The worst destruction took place during the Second World War, when Germans used it as a weapons warehouse, and set it to explode during their withdrawal in 1945. The monastery was reconstructed in 1946.
The monastery was painted with many frescoes. The most known frescoes preserved until present day are those of Tsar Dušan with his wife Jelena and son Uroš, as well as the fresco of the monastery founder zupan Pribil along with his sons and son in law Stan. In the rocks above the monastery there is a cave whose entrance area was closed with stone blocks. The monks lived there and would descend down to the monastery only during the big religious holidays. The monastery is still active these days. Within the complex of monastery there is a Museum of the First Serbian Upraise, The paintings gallery and a Museum of Dabro Bosnian Diocese of the Metropolitan.

fritzi007, fritzi007, daddo, jhm, swapankumarroy has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1102
Points: 10
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 309 W: 126 N: 866] (6331)
View More Pictures