Photographer's Note

Due to the great economic prosperity of Bruges in the 13th century, the population increased greatly, and the area was known within the first enclosure, where the Augustinian part, too small. More and more people settled outside the walls of 1127, largely consisting of what we now call the inner canals (Smedenrei, Speelmansrei, Augustinian and Golden-Handrei) and the St. Annarei, Groenerei and Dijver.
The emergence of the parish of Saint-Gilles went as follows:
Around 1230 Henry gave the nobleman (the) Ram, became rich by draining of flooded coastal areas, a piece of land to the (then newly created) Minor, or Franciscans so who could build a monastery in order to provide spiritual assistance to the people in that place, outside the city walls, had to live, that was not to the liking of the collegiate men of Our Lady, and eventually left the Franciscans in 1246 around here, to go on the Braamberg draw (which is now the Queen Astrid Park).
Around 1240, the Bishop of Tournai (under whose jurisdiction fell Brugge) the admission to help build a chapel of Our Lady, this is because the distance to the church for the faithful of the new nucleus was too great, which help chapel was built on a plot donated by Philip (the) Ram, son of the said Henry, and was, as Philip wanted it, dedicated to Saint-Gilles.
Until late 13th century, approximately 50 years, Saint-Gilles was "country", ie outside the city walls. A street name like "Saint-Gilles Dorpstraat" would still be an indication. Only with the construction of the second major wall of 1297-1300, was Saint-Gilles in the city lie. The main Langerei maritime feeder to Bruges, which was connected to the Zwin should probably port this activity occurred.

snunney has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1312
Points: 8
  • None
Additional Photos by john vantighem (john1) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 385 W: 0 N: 531] (4028)
View More Pictures