Photographer's Note

History of the building

The Carinthian Museum of Modern Art is housed in the "castle" in the centre of Klagenfurt. It was built in 1586 as a "Collegium sapientiae et pietatis", a school for the Protestant aristocracy. From 1601, it was used as the official residence of the Carinthian Estates.
After damage by fire in 1636 and 1723, the castle was rebuilt. The chapel was added in 1733/34, with baroque decoration by Josef Ferdinand Fromiller (1693-1760), and in 1773 a second storey was added. From 1771, the castle was the seat of the Provincial Governor, and provided accommodation for the sovereign (or emperor). Between 1872 and 1928, the south wing once again housed schools. (

Escalier d'accès: élément contemporain dans une architecture du 16è s.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1598
Points: 8
  • None
Additional Photos by Roland Bassin (rbassin) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1888 W: 133 N: 1695] (25311)
View More Pictures