Photographer's Note

In the 15th century, the island of Penang was referred to as Bīnláng Yù (simplified Chinese: 槟榔屿; traditional Chinese: 檳榔嶼) in the navigational drawings used by Admiral Zheng He of Ming-dynasty China in his expeditions to the South Seas. Zheng He named the island with refer to a fruit tree that found on this island, Bīnláng / 槟榔 = areca nut palm, Penang as the pronunciation of Bīnláng in Chinese dialect. Penang still as an island belong to Siam (Thialand) at 15 CE.

Fifteenth-century Portuguese sailors from Goa en route to the Spice Islands often made stopovers on the island which they called Pulo Pinaom.

Early Malays called it Pulau Ka-Satu or "First (or Single) Island" because it was the largest island encountered on the trading sea-route between Lingga and Kedah.

The Siamese, then the overlord of the Kedah Sultanate, referred to the island as Koh Maak.

A record show that at the initial arrival of Francis Light (British Governor) he found there are just only 58 Chinese residents are living at Penang Island. Among them are ironsmith, a teacher, charcoal workers and some fisherman. They reach to Penang Island at the year 1745, or 41 years before Francis Light found Penang Island. 1786, British take over Penang Island and begin the massive Chinese migration.

The above photo is showing the increasing of Chinese living standard on Penang Island, looking the above photo from the left to right, we found that Chinese residents built simply wooden houses during the early period they reach at Penang, years after years they working on this island, the have extra money and rebuilt their houses with cement and bricks, some of the residents are enough rich, their next generations are built a company.

Photo Information
Viewed: 4195
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Ally Theanlyn (shevchenko) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2575 W: 64 N: 4774] (20560)
View More Pictures