Photos

Photographer's Note

See outside view on the WS.
--------------------------

The cathedral is located on the historic Sionis Kucha (Sioni Street) in central Tbilisi, with its eastern façade facing the right-hand dike of the Kura River. It was initially built in the 6th and 7th centuries. Since then, it has been destroyed by foreign invaders and rebuilt several times. The current church is based on a 13th century version with some changes from the 17th to the 19th centuries. It was the main Orthodox cathedral in Georgia and the seat of the Catholic Patriarch of all Georgia until the Holy Trinity Cathedral was consecrated in 2004.

According to medieval Georgian annals, construction of the original church on this site was started by King Vakhtang Gorgasali in the 5th century. One hundred years later, Guaram, prince of Iberia (Kartli), in c. 575 began to build a new structure, which was completed by his successor Adarnase in about 639. According to legend, both princes were buried in this church, but no trace of their graves has been found. This early church was completely destroyed by the Arabs, and was later built.

The cathedral was completely rebuilt by King David the Builder in 1112. The basic elements of the existing structure date from this period. It was seriously damaged in 1226, when its cupola was ruined by order of Jalal ad-Din Mingburnu. Later it was repaired, but suffered damage by order of Tamerlán in 1386 and was repaired by King Alexander I. During the Persian invasion in the seventeenth century it was affected again.

Sioni Cathedral was the place where the Russian imperial manifesto on the annexation of Georgia was first published. On April 12, 1802, Georgia's Russian commander-in-chief, General Karl von Knorring, gathered Georgian nobles in the cathedral, which was then surrounded by Russian troops. The nobles were forced to take the oath to the Russian imperial crown; all who disagreed were taken into custody.

----------------------------------------------------

Ver vista exterior en el WS.
---------------------------

La catedral está situada en la histórica Sionis Kucha (calle Sioni) en el centro de Tiflis, con su fachada oriental frente al dique derecho del río Kura. Fue construida inicialmente en los siglos VI y VII. Desde entonces, ha sido destruida por invasores extranjeros y reconstruida varias veces. La iglesia actual se basa en una versión del siglo XIII con algunos cambios de los siglos XVII al XIX. Fue la principal catedral ortodoxa de Georgia y sede del Catolicós Patriarca de toda Georgia hasta que la Catedral de la Santísima Trinidad fue consagrada en 2004.

Según los anales medievales georgianos, la construcción de la iglesia original en este sitio fue iniciada por el rey Vakhtang Gorgasali en el siglo V. Cien años después, Guaram, príncipe de Iberia (Kartli ), en c. 575 comenzó a construir una nueva estructura, que fue completada por su sucesor Adarnase en aproximadamente 639. Según la leyenda, ambos príncipes fueron enterrados en esta iglesia, pero no se ha encontrado rastro de sus tumbas. Esta iglesia primitiva fue completamente destruida por los árabes, y posteriormente fue construida.

La catedral fue completamente reconstruida por el rey David el Constructor en 1112. Los elementos básicos de la estructura existente datan de este período. Fue seriamente dañada en 1226, cuando su cúpula se arruinó por orden de Jalal ad-Din Mingburnu. Posteriormente fue reparada, pero sufrió daños por orden de Tamerlán en 1386 y fue reparada por el rey Alejandro I. Durante la invasión persa en el siglo XVII se vio afectada nuevamente.

La catedral de Sioni fue el lugar donde se publicó por primera vez el manifiesto imperial ruso sobre la anexión de Georgia. El 12 de abril de 1802, el comandante en jefe ruso de Georgia, general Karl von Knorring, reunió a los nobles georgianos en la catedral, que luego fue rodeada por las tropas rusas. Los nobles fueron obligados a prestar juramento a la corona imperial rusa; todos los que no estuvieron de acuerdo fueron tomados en custodia.

Fis2, mcmtanyel, ikeharel, COSTANTINO, mkamionka, PaulVDV has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9193 W: 5 N: 16508] (73496)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2019-09-27
  • Exposure: f/inf, 15 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2022-03-27 11:01
Viewed: 0
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9193 W: 5 N: 16508] (73496)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH