Photos

Photographer's Note

See photo of one of their churches in WS.
----------------------------------------
Ananuri (Georgian: ანანური) is a fortress on the Aragvi River in the Mtsjeta-Mtianeti region of Georgia, about 66 kilometers north of Tbilisi, on the Georgian Military Highway that leads to Kazbegui.

The Ananuri fortress complex was the seat of the Eristavis (Dukes) of Aragvi, a feudal dynasty that ruled the area since the 13th century. The castle was the scene of numerous battles.

In 1739, Ananuri was attacked by the forces of a rival duchy, under Shanshe of Ksani, and was set on fire. The Aragvi clan was massacred. However, four years later, the local peasants rebelled against the Shamshe government, killing the usurpers and inviting King Teimuraz II to rule over them. However, in 1746, King Teimuraz had to suppress another peasant insurrection, with the help of King Erekle II of Kakheti. The fortress remained in use until the early 19th century. In 2007, the complex entered the provisional list for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage program.

The fortifications consist of two castles linked by a crenellated wall. The upper fortification has a large square tower, while the lower one has a round tower.

Inside the fort there are two churches. The oldest is that of the Virgin, which rests on a high square tower, containing the tombs of some of the Dukes of Aragvi. It dates from the first half of the seventeenth century, and was built of brick. Inside there is a stone canopy erected by the widow of Duke Edishera, who died in 1674.

The largest church is that of the Assumption (Ghvtismshobeli), built in 1689 by the son of Duke Bardzem. It is a central dome-style structure with richly decorated facades, including a carved north entrance and a carved vine-branch cross on the south façade. It also contains remains of frescoes, which include a Last Judgment.


Ver foto de una de sus iglesias en WS.
-------------------------------------
Ananuri (en georgiano: ანანური) es una fortaleza sobre el río Aragvi en la región de Mtsjeta-Mtianeti de Georgia,1 a unos 66 kilómetros al norte de Tiflis, en plena Carretera Militar Georgiana que conduce hasta Kazbegui.

El complejo de la fortaleza de Ananuri era la sede de los eristavis (Duques) de Aragvi, una dinastía feudal que gobernó la zona desde el siglo XIII. El castillo fue escenario de numerosas batallas.

En 1739, Ananuri fue atacado por las fuerzas de un ducado rival, al mando de Shanshe de Ksani y se le prendió fuego. El clan Aragvi fue masacrado. Sin embargo, cuatro años más tarde, los campesinos locales se rebelaron contra el gobierno de Shamshe, matando a los usurpadores e invitando al rey Teimuraz II para que gobernara sobre ellos. No obstante, en 1746, el rey Teimuraz tuvo que reprimir otra insurrección campesina, con la ayuda del rey Erekle II de Kajeti. La fortaleza se mantuvo en uso hasta principios del siglo XIX. En 2007, el complejo entró en la lista provisional para su inclusión en el programa de Patrimonio de la Humanidad de la UNESCO.

Las fortificaciones constan de dos castillos unidos por una muralla almenada. La fortificación superior dispone de una gran torre cuadrada, mientras que la inferior, dispone una torre redonda.

Dentro de la fortaleza hay dos iglesias. La más antigua es la de la Virgen, que se apoya en una alta torre cuadrada, disponiendo tumbas de algunos de los duques de Aragvi. Data de la primera mitad del siglo XVII, y fue construido de ladrillo. En el interior se destaca un baldaquino de piedra erigido por la viuda del duque Edishera, que murió en 1674.

La iglesia más grande es la de la Asunción (Ghvtismshobeli), construida en 1689 por el hijo del duque Bardzem. Se trata de una estructura central de estilo cúpula con fachadas ricamente decoradas, incluyendo una entrada norte tallada y una cruz de sarmiento de vid tallada en la fachada sur. También contiene restos de frescos, que incluyen un Juicio Final.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9194 W: 5 N: 16509] (73498)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2019-10-01
  • Exposure: 30 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2022-04-06 10:49
Viewed: 0
Points: 40
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9194 W: 5 N: 16509] (73498)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH