Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2021-10-02 10:19

Hello Mark,

I had no idea what 'The Wave' was but, on research, I am amazed! Why is it so difficult to gain permission to obtain photographs like those I saw, which were quite amazing!

This photograph is also amazing!
The colours are so rich, the details pin-sharp and you have taken a fine advantage of the unexpected water, to obtain this mirror-like reflection.
Don't you think the rocky spikes create an image like a stegosaurus?

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 10-03-2021, 12:00 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Royaldevon: Unexpected Reflection

Hello Bev,

In order to protect the area (both North and South Coyote Buttes) which is an ecologically sensitive wilderness the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (which is responsible for the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument) has always limited the number of people allowed to visit in a day. Prior to Trump the limit was 20 people in the North (with The Wave) and 20 in the South section. Trump signed an executive order increasing the number of people allowed into the North section (up to 60 per day, though that hasn't been fully implemented).

For the North section, the demand for permits is such that a lottery system has been implemented for two thirds of the available permits each day. You enter the lottery in October for visits in February and can select up to 3 dates for your 1 day visit. You pay your $9 and start praying ... hard! On November 1st you check your email, hoping that you have one saying you were successful and giving you one of those 3 dates. So far in nearly 2 years of trying I haven't been one of the lucky winners. The remaining permits are issued on a first come, first served basis at the Kanab (Utah) Office for the following day (I believe the office opens at 8 AM and the queue probably forms hours earlier.

For the South section, the demand isn't as great so you can go online and check the availability of permits for the date you want to visit up to 3 months in advance. Assuming there are enough still available on the day you want, you pay your money to reserve your slot and then, up to 2 weeks before going, you print your permit. Again, half of the permits are issued that way and the other half are issued at the Kanab Office the day before they are to be used.

The main reason for limiting numbers, in my opinion, is the fragility of the sandstone. Wind and weather erode it into thin shelves over decades and a single misstep can destroy something hundreds of years in the making.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:44 PM
TE Expert

Default North and South Coyote Buttes Permits

Thank you, that explains so much!
I wish you luck on a gaining a lottery permit in the future!

Kind regards,
Bev :-)