Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2021-04-22 4:51

Hello Chris,

I recently posted a close-up of a lamb but how different are these two mammals! This is a magnificent beast, powerful in muscle and horns, where as my animal was just cute!! This is under threat globally, mine just from the butcher!

Interesting notes, too.

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 04-22-2021, 06:44 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: Bison

Hello Bev

Interesting reading from Wikipedia here:

"Reintroduction

European bison reserve in Spain, where a reintroduction programme in San Cebrián de Mudá, Castile and León is in place.

Bison in Skole Beskids National Nature Park, Skole Raion in Ukraine
Beginning in 1951, European bison have been reintroduced into the wild, including some areas where they were never found wild. Free-ranging herds are currently found in Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Latvia, Switzerland, Kyrgyzstan, Germany, and in forest preserves in the Western Caucasus. The Białowieża Primeval Forest, an ancient woodland that straddles the border between Poland and Belarus, continues to have the largest free-living zubr population in the world with around 1000 wild bison counted in 2014. Herds have also been introduced in Moldova (2005), Spain (2010), Denmark (2012), and the Czech Republic (2014). The Wilder Blean project, headed up by the Wildwood Trust and Kent Wildlife Trust, is introducing European bison to the UK for the first time in 6000 years. The herd of 3 females and 1 male will be set free in 2022 within a 2,500-acre conservation area in Blean Woods near Canterbury."

So if you're ever in Canterbury next year, they might be worth a look.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 PM
TE Expert

Default Bison

Thank you, Chris, that’s really interesting!

Regards, Bev 😊