Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2020-12-31 13:56

Hello Eric,

I have read in Wikipedia that because it is readily accessible, and the Polish staffers are friendly, it is one of the most-visited scientific stations in Antarctica.
The grave of the famous Polish wildlife photographer Włodzimierz Puchalski, surmounted by an iron cross, stands on a hill to the south of the station. Puchalski died on 19 January 1979 in the course of filming a nature documentary in the vicinity of the station. (I didn't know it). Rather funny signs. Probably the scientists came from these places. Many are unknown to me, for instance, Stara Maryśka (Old Mary, haha). Far to Warsaw - 14660 km.

Happy New Year

MAlgo

Old 01-01-2021, 04:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To emka: Polish Base

MAlgo,

I need to check out Wikipedia to find out more information about the base. I actually found information on an Antarctica research website which I printed out and added to my trip memorabilia.

The Polish researchers did welcome us into one of the buildings and we got to see the lounge and bar and they had a counter of objects for sale. Stay turned for additional photos from the visit.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Eric