Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2016-09-08 11:10

Hello Gert,
And today such a journey would be one of the most insane trips possible on earth ... if at least you would be able to reach this town. Some regions on earth have placed themselves completely outside the accessible part.
But it certainly looked beautiful in that time. The defensive walls are really impressive.
A 'laid-back atmosphere' you write. Yeah, things change.
Nevertheless a very nice testimony of bygone days.
Best regards, Paul

Old 09-08-2016, 06:35 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: probably not so dangerous

Thank you Paul,
Actually I don't think this area would be so dangerous today. Although the people of the the M'Zab valley are quite independent minded I don't think they are doing any jihad. Basically it's a government controlled area, connected with Algiers by a fairly good road (maybe it's even very good today). There is also an airport. The areas to avoid are some parts of the Kabylian mountains in the north and most of the desert further south. I wouldn't recommend a journey like mine these days. But Ghardaia and its surroundings should be all right, I think.
Gert
Old 09-09-2016, 05:22 AM
TE Expert

You are very optimistic Gert but I wish not even to walk around for just 5 minutes in Algiers.
Algerians represent a high percentage of the fighters in the Middle East and they're not all originating from Kabylia or the south of the country.

Best wishes,
Paul
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 AM
TE Expert

There are probably more potential terrorists in Brussels or Stockholm than in Ghardaia. For instance the UK government does not include Algiers and Ghardaia among the areas of Algeria that travellers are recommended to avoid. There seems to have been some violent political demonstrations in Ghardaia in recent times, but there is nothing mentioned of terrorism. Algiers is regarded as pretty safe. I have seen similar judgements on other sites.
Gert