Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-05-03 4:05

Hello Mariusz,

As soon as I saw this lovely photograph and read your wonderful and extensive notes, I just couldn't resist trying to do some research here! As far as I can gather, the first plaque was presented in 1968 by Australia and New Zealand together to commemorate, not James Cook, but the Whitby ship workers who built Captain Cook's several ships. Then, in 1970, Australia presented a plaque to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Cook's landing in Australia. Canada presented a plaque in 1978 and finally New Zealand presented the final one in 1984.

Anyway, this is a delightful photograph, so simply and so beautifully composed, the tall statue on its plinth perfectly placed in the frame against a clear blue sky with the distant sea stretching out to the horizon.

Gorgeous light and colours, perfect exposure and, as always, stunning details and sharpness.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:28 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: plaques revealed

Thank you so much John.
I tried to research it a bit, but it appeared a bit challenging and I gave up, having quite limited time recently.
I remember being quite impressed when I discovered that each plaque is different. This man obviously has made a difference in the world!
Thank you again,
Mariusz