To PaulVDV: Ethnic groups - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2015-10-26 13:12

Hello Boa,
If I'm not mistaken, different ethnic groups live in North Iraq and in Erbil. I don't know if you can recognize the etnic group at the clothes the people are wearing. I'd think that the white dress of one of these three men is typical Arabic while the two others wear a Kurdish suit. I really don't know for sure but the suits of these two men remind me at the clothes that I have seen men wearing in Dyarbakir.
On the background we discover also younger guys in jeans.
The man closest to the camera holds a Turkish tasbih in his hands.
It's very nice that you could take pictures so easily on that square.
The brick wall makes an attractive background while the dome that rises behind it is quite artistic.
Best regards, Paul

Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To PaulVDV: Ethnic groups

Hi Paul,
thanks for your comments.
Yes, I have also been thinking about the people and their clothes during my visit. I am no expert but I could easily see that there was several people with different ethnic background here, both on their clothes but also on the faces.
The men you describe here is probably a correct assumption. Many Kurdish men also wear a small hat under their headscarf. Every clan have a unique pattern on their hat which make it easy to identify which klan they belong.

I saw also a man with clothes that are typical for the Arabian peninsula so there are many more people here with other ethnic background than described here, but as I said, It is difficult to determine were people come from if you don't ask them. I talked with many people here and most had their background in Iraq/Kurdistan but at least 3 or 4 of them I met was refugees from Syria who had fled the threat from ISIS.

Best regards/
Boa