Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2015-10-22 11:51

Hello Emilia,
A very beautiful colour contrast between the redbrown palace and the wall at the right and the overall blue colour on top of the picture.
Constructed on the hill this palace dominates the entire surrounding area.
I was there in 1984 but then the border with Georgia, or netter with the USSR was closed. The straight distance between Doğubayazıt and where you live isn't that big but I believe that you had to make a long detour to get there.
Best regards, Paul

Old 10-22-2015, 08:32 PM
TE Newbie

Default To PaulVDV: thanks

Thank you Paul. Yes, it is not so close to Tbilisi as it seems to be. In general I did not have much time as I was starting a new job in the second week of July and we had to rush a bit. Our route was first to Trabzon-Sumelia Bayburt-Erzurum-Van-Dogubayazit and surroundings- Kars and Ani and back to Georgia.
At the time we were it was still quiet but know I heard it's not recommended to go there due to increasing tensions between Kurds and Turkish people. Dogubayazit is a military zone with soldiers and tanks and even next to my hotel was a military block post.
How is life going in Belgium? This summer as I've told you my Belgian friends from Lueven visited me in georgia and stayed for two weeks. They liked the nature and the mountains a lot and are planning to come back next year. Today I received from them via post a beautiful album with our photos from georgia.
best regards
Emilia