To PaulVDV: Adventures - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2015-10-21 14:13

Hello Boa,
So too much adventure does exist for you :)
Now, I'd like to hear more of this country that isn't really a country (yet).
How did you get there? I guess by plane or possibly by crossing the Turkish border.
It must have been an exciting trip.
You mention the cafes and drinking tea. That's my memory of my time in Dyarbakir in the early 80-s: drinking tea with the Kurdish people.
Beautiful portrait of this man at work and the street scene around him seems to be very busy.
Best regards, Paul

Old 10-21-2015, 09:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To PaulVDV: Adventures

Hi Paul,
thanks for your comments and interest!
My first plan was to visit Turkmenistan and then Iran. I booked the tickets in July, my Iran Visa was approved but from Turkmenistan I heard nothing about my Visa. Four days before my planned departure I finally got a message from the embassy. -No 3 day transit Visa are not issued for Turkmenistan during October due "Independence day"!
With that message I almost got panic but luckily enough it was possible to change my tickets so I decided to travel directly to Iran but with Irak as an additional destination instead of Turkmenistan. Irak was not a bad choice but I will most certainly try to visit Turkmenistan 2016 or 2017.(but not in October)

Concerning the frontier. Yes that is absolutely true. I met many people in Erbil and had many nice conversations. There was one guy that I met that had noticed my camera and seriously gave me an offer to visit the warzone for taking photos. He said he had connections with the right people so that could be arranged. I thanked him politely for that but I said that was beyond my curiousity for adventures.

Frankly speaking Paul, I let other people have a career as a war photographer. A TE-photographer fits me much better (and safer)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM
TE Expert

Thanks Boa,

Did I understand well that you crossed the border between Iran and Iraq and returned afterwards to Iran ?

Best wishes,
Paul
Old 10-22-2015, 11:42 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Border

Hi Paul,
My flight was between Tehran and Erbil. Back home was Erbil-Istanbul-Stockholm.

Have a nice day/
Boa
Old 10-22-2015, 12:53 PM
TE Expert

So no border crossings ...

Thanks Boa!