To holmertz: Kurdistan - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2015-01-25 10:23

Hello Kasia,
I love the colours and quiet atmosphere of the evening in the square by the fountain and I understand your feelings at the moment. I remember my last evening in Bombay in 1973, before I started my journey home (from which I showed a number of photos recently). Although I hadn't always enjoyed India I thought I would never come back and felt that something had been lost forever. But I did go back about a dozen times, so there is still hope for you and Kurdistan :-).
The slightly melancholy atmosphere of this place may be entirely in my own imagination, but it is nurtured by the knowledge that the war is so close and anything horrible could happen in this peaceful place.
I like the WS photos very much too. They are two fine street-shots and especially the one of the jewelry shop is a superb composition.
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To holmertz: Kurdistan

Thank you very much Gert.
The war is so close and it always appeared strange to me that people behaved as if it wasn't happening. One of the districts of Erbil was shelled last week from a hidden rocket launcher and there were a few casualties. This is, I think, the third major incident in Erbil since IS was pushed back on 8 August.
Mind you, after Angelina Jolie's visit this week, it may become a trendy holiday destination soon. ;-)
Best wishes
Kasia