To holmertz: Gun shops - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2015-01-24 2:20

Hello Kasia,
That green goalkeeper is wonderful and puzzling. Is this some kind of organic graffiti or official public art? And is the goal part of the installation? It's very original in any case. I've never seen anything like it. The boys make this more than just a funny picture, but I wonder what their V sign stands for. Victory for Kurdistan or their local football team, or does the sign actually mean something else in Kurdish? Some hand signals or gestures may have totally different meanings in different cultures and can cause embarrassment when used in the wrong place :-).
As for the workshops they are both very interesting. The boy going for work at dawn is the most touching one. Did you get into trouble at the other weapons shop? I was once in a small group of journalists going with UN staff in a "tribal" territory in Pakistan when we stopped in a village full of gun factories and shops. The UN staff got very nervous when a couple of TV photographers started filming inside a shop for home-made Kalashnikovs and any other kind of handguns you could imagine. They were causing a minor sensation and people were gathering outside the shop, so possibly there could have been a riot any moment :-).
Have a great weekend.
Gert

Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To holmertz: Gun shops

Thank you for your comments Gert! I really like your story from Pakistan. :-)
I think that gesture is just one of many signs of the influence of the American culture. But I'm not sure if those kids even know it means "Victory" - it's probably just a "cool" sign they have seen in a movie.
The goalkeeper is part of a bigger project. I have come across more of those hedges located under the flyovers on that particular road - I remember a vase and a bird.
No trouble in the other gun shop. The man just shook his head - he looked as if it was not the first time he had been approached to allow photography on the premises. And most probably it was not. There are quite a few of those shops in Erbil. They are legal and easy to find.
Have a nice evening.
Kasia