Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2014-06-26 3:40

Hi Bev,

Whitby is a place I want to visit soon and your picture has strengthened my desire to go there. How nice too that you were able to capture a view inside one of these huts - that looks remarkably homely and cosy - just the place to sit with a book and a cuppa should the weather turn nasty. And how nice also that many of these huts can be rented.

This is a lovely shot and just so different from the usual photographs we see of rows of beach huts. I suspect that on this day you were blessed with a horrid washed out white sky and you were clever to keep that well outside the frame. You have used the line of the concrete steps to lead us upwards to the row of multicoloured huts and what better way to adorn those rather plain steps than with the inclusion of this young lady running down them and making a wonderful foreground feature.

Despite the strong light and contrasts and the deep shadows, you have managed to preserve full details in both the brightest bits and the deepest shade, the colours are delightful and the details and sharpness are excellent.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: Whitby

Hi John,
thanks for your kind critique. You really should go to Whitby, especially as they the town hold steam train weekends and you can catch a train from Whitby to the town where the tv series Heartbeat was located. There is also two Goth weekends too. That would be fun from a street photography pov. There wouldn't be many shrinking violets, that's for sure. Clodo says he would like to go to Whitby Blackpool so maybe the next TE meet could be a seaside one.
Bev
Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 PM
TE Expert

Default Whitby.......

Hi Bev,

Yes, I think I really must have a trip to Whitby, especially if, as you say, there's an opportunity to see and have a trip on a steam train! Big (or old) boys and their big toys and all that.

I know a few people from our camera club go there regularly to the two Goth weekends and come back with piles of pictures which they spend ages editing and fiddling about with - one of our guys did this incredible composition using several photographs from all over the place - it was a picture of a Goth girl sitting astride a huge motorbike coming out of a tunnel with gravestones and skeletons and ghosts all around. He told me it took him a month using photoshop to achieve the end result. All damn clever but, quite honestly, I certainly don't have the skill to do that sort of thing and, secondly, I'm not actually sure if I'd want to. To me that is really "graphic art" and not really photography at all. But, having said all that, these are the sorts of pictures which win all the competitions nowadays.

But, yes, I must have a trip there. And from Mariusz's pictures as well as your own, it looks like there's lots to see and do there. There's the abbey and the harbour and Captain Cook's stuff - and there's always fish and chips too!

Have a great weekend!

John.