Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great rigoletto 2013-06-04 9:51

Hi Russ,

You are almost about to turn these photos into a photography project about death. Why not? I'd visit the exhibition for sure :)

I remember my visit to Church of Santa Maria della Concezione in Rome, where the "Capuchin Crypt" is. There they made small hills, tombstones and even chandeliers of skulls and bones. Written on a small plate, one of the skulls was saying "yesterday i was like you, tomorrow you'll be like me".

Prior to that, the same week, i had visited the Catacombs of Capuchins in Palermo, much larger in size and full of thousands of dead bodies standing or lying in their open coffins, all of them still with their original clothes & hair, and some of them even mummified.

Well, all these places are not for the faint hearted for sure, though, i like the "memento mori" idea as i told you before. One day i also wish to visit that macabre place in Sedlec. Somehow, believing in the "conservation of energy" gives me a strength for confronting these people of bones.

Best wishes,
Deniz

Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Talking To rigoletto: I cannot explain

But yes, it seems there has been a theme in my fotos lately. I will try to move on to more lively subjects!

The quote you mention is wonderful! "Yesterday i was like you, tomorrow you'll be like me." It brings to mind the postscript from the Stanley Kubrick movie "Barry Lyndon," an epic story set in 18th century Ireland. The film ends and the audience sees this quote:

"It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarreled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now."

Finally, since you mention the chandeliers in the Capuchin Crypt, allow me to post a workshop here of one from Sedlec. I had started processing this one to submit, but was not happy with the result. It will be okay as a workshop.

As always, Deniz, I appreciate your interest in my work!

All my best -- have a great evening!

Russ
Austin, Texas