Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great EstudioChispa 2013-05-01 9:33

Seeing the world, large and small -- a wonderful thought and a wonderful shot. Nice contrast of decay (peeling paint, vine remains, and mulch) with the colors so full of life.

May I ask a Q? I have looked for the answer on the internet, but came up empty! After my comment on yesterday's shot regarding focal length, I checked your exif data on this one and now I am completely confused. Yesterday's (which I am guessing was a zoomed shot) said "7667/500" and today's shot (for which I have no guess, wide or tele) says "23351/1000." How do you read these #'s and what do they mean in "35mm equivalent" terms?

Regardless, the lens on your Canon must be a joy to shoot. I had an early 4MP Panasonic Lumix with a 12x optical zoom that I kept long after it was obsolete, JUST for that lens -- Leica glass with ability to open to f/2.8 throught the zoom range. Even when I parted with it, it stayed in the family and is being shot to this day.

Best,
Russ
Austin, Texas

Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To EstudioChispa: me & my canon

good morning, russ!

to be honest, i have no idea what my numbers mean in "35 mm equivalent" terms... i'm not a techie and don't easily grasp things like that. i believe both photos were taken with my canon powershot, not the canon T3i, which means for those photos, the camera was calling the shots, so to speak

that said, i do love its zoom lens. it's not good for macro work, but it does enable me to shoot quite fast, which is usually my preference anyway.

and that's why i go by the name "kristin's camera" -- i know what i want to grab, but i often let the camera make the technical decisions -- so it's only fair to give it credit on the marquee

kristin

p.s i really enjoyed looking at your photos from amanda's wedding ~ you captured some lovely moments, especially the joy in her face dancing with her new husband; her father's (?) face when hugging her while her girlfriends look on with smiles; so many heartfelt hugs and happiness. i love that crazy green, the fingernail polish, piercings, and tattoos ~ the characters could have been from here, Asheville or Appalachia, and that is not said in a disparaging way, but from a photographer's perspective for a good story and good visuals

well seen & shot, my friend!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Just a quick note of thanks for your feedback on the wedding fotos! Yes, that was her father, my brother Rick (we were 4 boys and a baby sister; of the 4 brothers, Rick and I look a lot alike and the other two brothers favor the other side of the family). And you're right, the event had a very Appalachian feel -- a celebration of family bonds without an emphasis on a large budget; more truthfully, in the total absence of a large budget! But they weren't COMPLETELY on the cheap -- you saw the big blue port-a-pottie in the background! ;-)

Thanks again for looking and enjoying!

Russ
Austin, Texas