Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great agjika 2011-11-28 12:25

Hi Gert,
It is clearly worse than Albania, they have the burglar bars from the inside of the glass whereas in Albania there are (use to be) from the outside!

I do not know whether I like it or not but Albania is made to represent some sort of etalon, unit of measure of how bad something is or can be. I have seen it a few times only recently in the British Media e.g. The rate of mothers dying during child birth is higher in the UK than Albania or that Albanian pupils are better at reading for fun, maths etc. that their UK counterpart.

Your photo makes me feel sorry for this badly ignored and underservedly treated nation.

Thanks for the sharing

Aleks

Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
TE Expert

Default To agjika: thanks

Hello Aleks,
Thanks for your comments, even though you didn't quite like my note. I could have stated thet the GDP of Moldova is exactly half of Cape Verde's or slightly better than in Djibouti, but I used Albania as a geographically closer reference and also because I wanted to point out that Albania is improving and far from the worst in Europe, contrary to what a lot of people believe.

To you I can say that during my short stay in Moldova I observed on a number of times the incredible difference between these two small European countries. Albania is in every way more advanced. I have no doubt of what you say about health and education. I have also seen that Albania has a larger number of mobile phone accounts per 100 000 people than Sweden, at least if we can trust the World Bank.

I'm not sure if your last paragraph refers to Albania or Moldova. Personally I feel very sorry for the Moldovans who are leaving their country in large numbers, not so few also becoming victims of trafficing. The countryside looks partly deserted, whereas rural Albania is - relatively - blooming.

Kind regards,
Gert