Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Manamo 2009-04-06 7:44

Lisa, It must have been a very bright moment because even the ND grad filter was not enough to get a smooth texture in the sky...all that you have is a washed out sky. and it's unfortunate because it takes more than a third of the image.
You were obviously using a tripod since the image is so sharp at 1/4 of a sec. Why not take 3 frames shot at different exposure settings without moving the camera/tripod and combine them in photoshop? This would result in a well exposed shots all through the frame...

another thing, you were obviously there on a trip and you won't be able to got here soon...So, the next point I'm bringing up is probably stupid, but we're just chatting here, so don't take it too seriously.The sun was setting at that moment, which gives you dull lighting and a washed out sky. So, probably that the best moment to take this scene would be in the morning to get that golden morning gloom on the "house" and a much easier setting for the exposition.

But the colors in the grass are totally awesome and the compo is flawless...

This is so typically Irish! I love it!

see you,

Marc

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM
TE Expert

Default To Manamo: Hi Marc

Hi Marc

Thanks for taking the time to comment here.

Firstly, I did not have a tripod, the shot is hand-held. Unfortunately all my shots of Ireland and Scotland are hand-held, it was a BIG mistake not bringing a light-weight one along with me. I will definitely be taking a tripod fror the next time.

The sky...yeah it's unfortunately been blown out despite the filters (I had a CP and an ND on it aswell). I did not help things by tweaking the contrast either.

And finally the timing. We were about 2 hours from home and it was getting dark. The person who took me here (obviously not a camera lover) was hurrying me the entire time, so I only got a few shots off before jumping back into the car. But thanks for the advice...I will use it when I make a comeback.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Manamo: Hi Marc

well Lisa, you ahve one hell of a steady hand! congrats!!:D On my last trip to asia, I had this decision to make:tripod or not. It's extra luggage and it's only useful on rare occasions. I decided to buy a gorilla pod instead. It's very small and it's sturdy enough to take on a fairly heavy DSLR (D300 from Nikon). it's not very high (about 1 foot high) so you gotta use your brain to find good spots to place it, but once installed, it's just as steady as any tripod... I liked it quite a bit.

And you had both filters on? damn!! so it might be when you tweaked the contrasts...if you work on photoshop, use layers and apply masks to apply the change only where you want it.

Of course, I understand that it's impossible to go back. I was just rambling here...;)

have a good one,

Marc