Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great rushfan2112 2008-09-04 13:26

Hi David.

I actually quite like the strong shades and deep shadows. I might have taken this from a slightly higher viewpoint to include more of the bales disappearing into the distance.

Still, a really nice "available light" shot.

So, do you live / work in Herts? I'm only across the border into North Essex...!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 AM
TE Newbie

Default To rushfan2112: Thanks

Hi Paul

Thanks for the points and comments. Appreciated! This is one of the many I've taken in the same field over the past two days and maybe I should publish one of the bales disappearing too.

The issue of shadows is clearly subjective. Part of the problem in my case is working off a laptop with the screen probably set at a different angle each time. Shall have to invest in a monitor!

I work in Hertford and this field is less than a five minute drive from the office so very convenient!! I've got it marked out to revisit next summer to capture when the corn is growing.

So where in North Essex are you?

"Get busy"

David
Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To rushfan2112: Thanks

Hi David,

Everything in art is subjective - and thank goodness as a world full of absolute truths would be hell.

I invested in a decent (not brilliant) monitor a few years ago but the one thing I wouldn't be without is my "Spyder". I calibrate the monitor at least once a month and it means that, even with my eyesight, I can always guarantee what I see is what will be reproduced if I print a photo.

I think we all probably have a place that we visit and revisit. Mine is the quayside at Maldon on the Blackwater estuary in Essex. There are some lovely old Thames barges there and, for the life of me, I can't quite seem to catch them in just the right light or at just the right angle. One day, maybe...?!

I live in Braintree (15 mins east of Stansted on the A120), so not far from you at all. If you're ever likely to be in that neck of the woods, drop me a note via the "contact me" on my "Intro" page and we could meet up for a shoot and/or a beer - and, of course, a listen to some decent music ;-))

At the moment, I'm having a Joe Walsh / Eagles phase + some Max Webster and Primus. Drives my missus nuts as she's a fan of 80's music and can't seem to catch the drift of Rush....

Anyway, great to hear from you. All the best, Paul.