To Rinie_Hoff: Trullo roof - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Rinie_Hoff 2005-01-08 14:27

Hi David, this is a nice view, and very well fitting at TE, I never knew they had such roofs in Bari, so I learn something again.
Do you have any idea whether tehre was a special reason why they build these kinds of roofs?

Old 01-09-2005, 09:00 AM
TE Newbie

Default To Rinie_Hoff: Trullo roof

These structures can be found throughout the region south of Bari (Apulia), but Alberobello has the most still standing. They have been built for hundreds of years. Here is some info from some websites:

Rumour has it that the trulli were built as a tax dodge at a time when the local nobility was taxing permanent housing. Apparently they were pulled down with a rope and then reassembled once the tax man had left - one to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially after seeing a trullo!

Trulli were originally built without the use of mortar. Floors, walls, and roofs were crafted from the local limestone, which often lies just inches beneath the surface. Except for doors and windows and occasionally lintels, the only wood used in trulli construction is the tavalato, a wooden floor laid upon hand-hewn beams and reached by ladder, which forms an attic space that was used for storage and sometimes as sleeping space..

Exterior walls are laid in square or circular plan and from the walls springs the most visually striking feature of the trulli, their cone-shaped roofs. These are created by laying concentric circles of stone, each circle slightly larger than the following one. The horizontal friction between the carefully crafted and fitted stones, and the horizontal arch effect of each ring resisted the tendency of the roof to collapse inwards, thus allowing these massive roofs to be constructed without formwork. The roof is covered with thin slabs of stone "shingles", called "chiancarelle". Elaborate guttering systems are built into the roof to carry the water away from the building or into cisterns beneath or nearby the trullo.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Rinie_Hoff: Trullo roof

Hi David, I'm sorry for answering this late, I never got this forum alert, just like I did n't get three others.
Thanks very much for this extensive reply. It helps to understand why these strange constructions exist.
They remind of a picture I took in Ireland of Beehive huts, this one, although those are complete dwellings.
Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:10 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Rinie_Hoff: Trullo roof,

Working link: this one
Sorry ;-)