Please recommend a lens for my Pentax K100D - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
TE Newbie

Default Please recommend a lens for my Pentax K100D

I'm shopping for a lens for my Pentax K100D. I already have the 28-55mm kit lens. I'm looking for a telephoto zoom lens, with focal lengths above 55mm. My budget is under $300.

Any recommendations much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Please recommend a lens for my Pentax K100D

Wei,
Forget a telephoto zoom...you will outgrow its quality real soon. Instead, purchase a used good condition Pentax SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8 with a M42 in K mount. It is one of the best lenses in short telephoto (ideal for portrait and most tele-scenery shots) with a beautiful soft quality, excellent contrast and good bokeh. You should be able to get one on ebay for under $300.
Unfortunately you will not be able to use autofocus, but why would you need autofocus? There is a different charm, even machismo, in using a manual focus tele lens. :-)
Animesh
Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Please recommend a lens for my Pentax K100D

Hey Animesh,

Thanks for the recommendation, and sorry for the late reply. Work has been crazy lately. Against your recommendation, I went with the Pentax DA 50-200mm. A quick research on the Internet showed that it was a decent lens for the $200 price tag. So far I've been happy with it: it has exceeded my expectations in terms of sharpness and contrast. I hope to post some photos here soon.

Cheers,
Wei
Old 11-16-2007, 08:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Default DA 50-200

Hi Wei.

The lens mentioned by Animesh is indeed an amazing one, but I use the DA 50-200 on my K10D for a few months now and I have to confess that it's an excellent compromise between quality and budget. You will probably enjoy it and be quite surprized by its efficiency.

Cheers.

Loic.