Nikon playing fast and loose with LCD resolution!!! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 06:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Nikon playing fast and loose with LCD resolution!!!

Anyone still swooning over Nikon's vaporware announcement of the still unavailable and untested D300 and D3 cameras owe it to themselves to read this excellently written piece from Popular Photography:
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotography/

Click on The McNamara Report

In it MacNamara explains clearly that Nikon have been less straightforward in their description of the new super duper LCD in the new cameras. What they actually say is that the resolution is 920,00 dots, HOPING that every panicky fool on the Canon side and every hopeful Nikon Fanboy will conclude that the resolution is equal to 920,000 pixels, or 3 times what Canon offers in the new 40D or 1D MKIII. Nonsense! The keyword here is "dots", a less common way of describing resolution for LCDs - it tuns out that the new Nikons will sport something like a 300,00 Pixel LCD, better than the 230,000 one from Nikon, but not THAT much better.

Nice to clear that up, eh?

Next, let's see just how good the high iso performance is from the 12 Megapixels Sony stuffed into the new Nikon D300 chip... That ought to be interesting.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Nikon playing fast and loose with LCD resolution!!!

Hi Francis.

I am a Nikon user but I would never describe myself as a "hopeful Nikon Fanboy" and I'm not remotely bothered whether the LCD screen on the D3 and D300 have 920,000 dots, pixies or pixels. The fact is that Nikon didn't say "pixels".

"What they actually say is that the resolution is 920,00 dots, HOPING that every panicky fool on the Canon side and every hopeful Nikon Fanboy will conclude that the resolution is equal to 920,000 pixels?" This is a harsh accusation and possibly even libelous.

It's also a bit harsh to suggest that fellow Canon users might be "pacnicky fools". I've spoken to a couple of friends of mine (Canon users - one has a 5D and the other a 350D) and both are interested in the new Nikons - but neither will lose any sleep over the relative pixel counts. It's a small consumer sample, I know, but......

As for the sensors. According to Amateur Photographer, Nikon say that the D300's is a Sony but that the D3's was "developed" by Nikon. From memory, I don't think it said whether Nikon manufactured it. No matter.

These sensors will either deliver what Nikon claim (in which case Nikon will sell D3's and D300's by the shed-load) or they won't (in which case it's back to the drawing-board for Nikon). Only time will tell.

I can only deduce from your comments that you are very "anti" Nikon as well as being very "pro" Canon. I like both - I'm sure they both have strengths and weaknesses. In fact, I like photography per se -irrespective of what badge the camera brandishes. I even still use film.......!!

As a matter of fact, I'm "considering" looking at a second-hand Canon 5D and 24-105mm f4 at some point if I can get to test one. I quite like the idea of a full-frame camera but the D3 will be out of my price bracket for some time (if not forever).

Anyway, it will certainly be interesting.

Paul.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM
TE Senior Member

I read this too, I think I might have seen a link at theonlinephotographer.com. Quite frankly, I think it is a big who cares. .3mp is fine for a three inch screen and I have serious doubts that anyone has ever purchased a DSLR based only upon the screen size. I do think that Nikon could have chosen to use the more common vernacular, but I just think that it is such a minor issue as to be totally unimportant.

As for Nikon being able to get good high iso from the D300, it is entirely possible. Remember, the 40D has a slightly smaller CMOS and 12 vs. 10 MP is not much difference if you account for the sensor size differences. The 40D, according to Michael Reichman is better than the 5D in many ways. Why couldn't Nikon do the same? It is pretty easy to apply some fairly heavy handed NR on a CMOS chip.

Seems that your Nikon experience has left you a little upset with the company. I just hope all companies can continue to move forward, that includes Nikon, Canon and all the others.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
TE Senior Member

Default A slight correction

I said that I don't think anyone has ever purchased a DSLR based only upon the screen size. Of course, I meant screen resolution, as that is what the discussion was about.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,
Nah, personally I could care less but here's the thing - Nikon are doing the kinds of crass marketing things people have long accused C of indulging in. Furthermore there was, for a while, serious panic among Canon users and one of the things that was driving folks over the edge was the slick presenttaion of new LCD numbers by Nikon, less than honest IMHO. Now that the Eos 40D is a demonstrably fine performer there'S a bit more sanity around but still... it was weird to say the least.
Nikon will do very well indeed with both D300 and D3 and god luck to them.
I do think this article in Pop Photo is worthy of interest in the light of all the rumors, vapors and whatnot flying around abut cameras that are nowhere near avaiable yet.

Let's wait and see,
Francis
Old 09-05-2007, 01:19 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Francis.

I can only speak for the UK but I'm sure there must be "Advertising Standards Authority" type organisations in most countries. If Nikon (or whoever) overstep the line and can't back up their claims, then they deserve to be punished.

It's the same whether it's cars, domestic appliances, soap powder, whatever. All companies use a bit of spin to claim the limelight but, as the old saying goes "there's nothing like good advertising to kill a bad product". Time will tell whether Nikon have winners in the new D3/300 series cameras or whether Canon, Sony, Pentax or Olympus will take the lead.

Best wishes,

Paul.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Interesting article Francis, I particularly liked this bit:

"Well, Nikonians and Canonistas will argue this ad infinitum on message boards -- but the real winner is you, the photographer."

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for that; it appears that DPReview were caught out there, or that something else might be going on. To quote their preview of the D300:

"3.0 " TFT LCD, 922,000 pixels"

Which on the next column they compare with the D200, which is listed as:

"2.5 " TFT LCD, 230,000 pixels"

Here's the link

It's interesting that according to McNamara the CIPA guidelines say it's acceptable. I wonder how many cheap cameras have LCD resolutions a third of the normal ;)