Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great huahoa 2007-08-21 14:22

Hi John,
I recognize your style with long exposure in order to give a special effect to water, I like it and will try to photograph a cascade near my home with the same adjustment.
Well done !
Thanks for sharing
Hoa

Old 08-22-2007, 04:26 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To huahoa: cascade

hi Hoa,

I have learned the following in doing it .. hope it helps in some small way:
1. dim light is best .. near dawn or sunset ..
2. if it is dim enough try some exposures from like 1/8, 1/3. etc.. with a circular polarizer .. it will give enough reduction for those ...
3. for longer exposures it takes a Neutral Density filter of some thickness .. mine is almost too thick. I can almost not see through the view finder it is so thick. I have dropped it twice in bad places trying to screw it on after the shot is set up.
4. the #1 problem is surrounding foliage blowing in the wind .. do what you can to mitigate this ..
5. the #2 problem is the difference in brightness between the water and the surroundings .. HDR would be snazzy but just choosing a time when the surroundings are getting as much light as possible and the fall is not in direct light helps .
6. In addition to the tripod you need a remote or use your self timer not to jiggle it all with the shutter.

happy shooting. I look forward to seeing it.

take care,

John