Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great euryan 2007-05-19 20:28

Good lighting and nice color and contrast. Reminds me of "Hostile Horizon." This one appears to be over sharpened though, just slightly. Otherwise very nice.
Ryan
P.S. Your Teton trip is coming up soon isn't it? If you can take this good of photos from a moving vehicle I can't wait to see what you can do when you actually get out of the car ;-)

Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To euryan: Moving car

Hi Ryan:

Haha...I'm kind of tempted to just shoot from the car from now on. It's about the only time I've gotten decent shots recently. :)

Thanks for your helpful critique. I realized that it was a bit oversharpened shortly after posting it. Amazing how you never notice until after you post it.

The Teton/Yellowstone trip is just over a month away. To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement. One of my friends is going to let me borrow her Rebel XT, which is a huge step above my camera. If I can figure out how to use it, I should have some great shots afterwards. Any recommendations on film types for Teton and Yellowstone? I've never really used film other than when I was a kid--no idea. I was thinking Velvia, but if you have any better recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for your critique.

Clark
Old 05-20-2007, 08:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Velvia

Hey Clark,

Velvia is my all time favorite photographic tool. I wouldn't recommend any other type of film. That being said, it is kind of tricky to get used to. Let me tell you a little bit about it.

First of all, itís a slide film (you probably already know that) so you won't have negatives, you'll have positives. This E6 film has to be developed at special locations. I only know of a handful in the entire valley, and they all suck! I send my Velvia to California to get developed.

Second, once they are developed they are difficult to scan for use on the computer. It takes a lot of photoshop tweaking just to make them look half as good as the original slide.

Third, Velvia is very sensitive. This is a good thing because it gives you very predictable results, but it can be a huge hassle too. Velvia should be kept refrigerated until you use it. That means on a trip you have to keep it in a cooler with ice (you don't have to keep it refrigerated, but you won't get the best results unless you do).

And last but not least, Velvia takes a while to get used to in terms of correct exposure. It's not like regular print film; it has a very low margin for error. That's why many people, even professionals, bracket their exposures.

So would I recommend it? Yes, and no. You already take awesome photos with your G2, so I would recommend you use that as your primary tool. Velvia is very nice though, and if you do it right, you'll be amazed with the results. If you do it wrong, or the people mess up on the developing (which has happened to me many times here in the valley) you'll be very disappointed. I recommend you take both cameras (film and digital) and experiment with both.

If you do decide to go with Velvia, I can give you tips on how to use it, where to get it developed, and how to scan it. If you don't use Velvia, than I would forget shooting film all together because you'll get better results with your G2.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To euryan: Moving car

Hi Ryan:

Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for--the ins, outs, and intricacies of Velvia. I haven't decided whether I'm going to use it yet, but at least now I have a lot more info on it.

Thanks also for the compliments on my shots. I rail on the G2, but in spite of some limitations it takes remarkably good pictures for being such an inexpensive camera.

Thanks again for your help, and I'll let you know if I have more questions about it.

Clark