Which camera?? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 AM
TE Newbie

Default Which camera??

I am going to buy my first digital SLR camera.
Currently looking at the following cameras that seem to be in my price range.
Nikon d80
Canon EOS 20D
Canon 400d
Any recommendations? I will mainly be using it for Landscape shots.
I have looked at quite a few cameras on the net, and have been overloaded with info and am now confused about what would be best.
Melissa
Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Which camera??

You have also the Nikon D200; Canon 30D.
About the Canon 400D it's the cheeper one.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Melissa, if you can get hold a D200 within your price bracket, do so!!

It's performance is exceptional and it is built to last a lifetime. The range of lenses is enormous and, unlike most manufacturers, Nikons will take virtually all lenses ever made to fit their bodies.

You'll lose metering on some and it won't turn a manual focus lens into an aoto-focus one but definitely have a look at the D200 if you get chance.

Paul.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
TE Expert

Melissa, if you can get hold a D200 within your price bracket, do so!!

It's performance is exceptional and it is built to last a lifetime.
--------------------
I disagree, none of the today's digital cameras are built to last a life time, infact very few will last more than few years, and many of the manual cameras from the 70's will outlast any digital wonder.

Both systems are good, if you are on the budget I suggest buying cheaper camera and getting better glass, lenses should last long, camera's won't.
Peter
Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Melissa, I myself was wondering and finally decided to buy a cheaper Rebel G XTi but with Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens(almost twice the price of XTi ) . I am very much satisfied with the results. So I agree with Peter in this regard that one should spend more on lens then on Camera which wont last long.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 AM
TE Junior Member

Melissa, there is much truth and sense in what Peter said. However, whilst "built to last a lifetime" is a commonly used figure of speech and not a statement of fact, compare the cameras and see which one you feel will take a few knocks.

All of the cameras are capable of producing very good results. However, of the ones mentioned so far in this thread, only one is ever likely to be regularly seen in the hands of a professional or semi-professional photographer - the D200.

Why, it is a very capable camera in terms of its specification (it is not far behind the D2XS but is less than half the price) AND it has a superior build quality to most other DSLR's at its price point in the marketplace.

If you're not intending to replace / upgrade your camera body regularly, my advise was to get the best you can for your money but to give some consideration to build quality as well as the photographic specification.

Peter is absolutely spot-on when he suggests spending the most you can afford on lenses as they do make the most difference to the output. However, lens technology hasn't advanced quite as quickly (in relative terms) as the DSLR technology has in recent years.

There is no longer the "race" for pixel count there was even two years ago. Current 6-10 MP cameras are extremely good tools for the amateur and you have the choice of all manner of fine glass at discount prices if you are prepared to seek out a bargain.

I wanted a 70/80 - 200mm zoom lens. The best that Nikon has to offer is the 70-200 f2.8 VR - but this is £1200 new and out of my reach. However, I spotted a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (non-VR) in extremely good condition for £250.

Happy shopping.

Paul.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:33 PM
TE Newbie

I am using the Canon 20D with a 17-85 mm lens. this gives you a very good wide angle and an adequate Telephoto. Excellent for landscape shots....Ticino
Old 03-24-2007, 05:59 PM
TE Expert

Yes but the 20D is replaced by the 30D with better advantages
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-eos30d/eos30d-gen.php
Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 PM
TE Newbie

for the differance in price not that many advantages,the 20D is still my prefferance..Ticino