Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Furachan 2007-02-03 6:15

Nice capture, Ned, remindw me strongly of the film "Glory" about an all-black regiment in the Civil war. I like the croping pretty much, the exressions and the fine use of DOF. I would simply put a frame around it and take a bit from the bottom to make it more rectangular. I will attempt a WS to show what I mean.
Otherwise very nice work.
Best,
Francis

Old 02-03-2007, 06:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Furachan: workshop

Thanks for the workshop Francis.

As you can probably tell from my collection of pictures, I don't usually do frames. I think there are times when it helps, but most of the time I prefer to offer a larger image for the sake of the image itself.

I do think the crop works, but I do miss the detail of the gun and medallion. Not that they make or break the image, but they're just more detail that show the level attention that reenactors go to to appear original.

I'm a bit on the fence about the sharpening. I messed around with various degrees of USM when editing, and in the end I settled on the softer image. As you can see the image was taken at 400MM, which equates to 600MM with the dx sensor of the nikon, so all in all, given the long focal length I was fairly happy with the results.

Thanks again